Much to the dismay of active students, indoor recess happen. This doesn't have to mean children spend their entire day in seats. Introduce this fun and simple game to get students moving and having fun in a classroom. The Game of the Week is Four Corners!
Group Size: Any size
Before You Start:
- Have players split equally among the four corners (or as closely as possible.)
- Do a practice round with leader in the middle.
How To Play:
- The player in the middle will close their eyes and count slowly and loudly from 10 to 0.
- While they are counting, all others may stay where they are or quietly move to a different corner. When the counter gets to 0, everyone must be at a corner (if not they must sit down).
- After counting, the player in the middle points to corner of his/her choice and can only open their eyes after having done so.
- Anyone standing in that corner must sit down.
- If no one is standing at the chosen corner, all players sitting may stand up and get back into the game.
- When only one player is left standing, s/he becomes the counter for the next round.
- Change the middle person when one person has been in the middle for 2 minutes.
- The counter can say that they will point to the loudest corner.
Love implementing Game of the Week? Playworks offers professional development programs that will teach your staff to use recess and playtime to improve health and support learning. Curious to learn more? Submit the Training Assessment form and a local Playworks representative will respond directly.