Holiday breaks from school can be long for both kids and adults. Take advantage of the time away from school to get your family talking about fun, new topics. Try some of the following conversation starters during car rides, meal time or a walk to the park.
- If you could design your own school, what would it look like?
- What are the most interesting things about you?
- What’s one of your favorite jokes?
- What’s your first memory?
- If we all lived in a zoo, what animals would we be?
- If you were to create a country, what would the name of the country be? What would the rules be? What would the national flag look like?
- What do you think your parents need to remember about being a kid?
- What would be the most fun birthday celebration you could have?
- What would you do if you could fly for a day?
- If you could be a character from any book, what character would you be?
- If you could invite any person to dinner, who would you invite?
- If you could take a trip anywhere, where would you go?
- If you were a superhero, what would your power be and what would you be called?
- If you could go into the world of one of your favorite books, which would you choose?
- If our family were the characters from (your kid’s favorite book, movie, etc.), which characters would we all be?
- If you were a great inventor, what would you invent?
- Where in the world would you most like to live?
- If you were a teacher, what would you teach? A certain class? A certain grade?
- When you are an adult, how will you parent differently?
- If you won $1000, what would you do with it?
- Who do you think is the richest person in the world?
- If you were granted three wishes, what would they be?
- Name three things you are grateful for.
- What are you most proud of?
- What scares you and why?
- What’s your favorite family tradition?
- What do you think the meaning of life is?
- What is the best dream you’ve ever had
- Which of the four seasons do you like best and why?
- What sound really bothers you?
- What do you do when you’re feeling really angry?
- Who is the funniest person you know? Why?
- What do you do when you see someone being teased?
- Describe yourself in five words.
What conversation starters do you use with kids?
Find 156 fun games in our newest Game Guide.
Includes everything from games you can play in a small space with no materials, to games you can play in a big group during recess. Search for games by age level, time/space/materials available, and by the life skills used (like problem solving or teamwork).