This simple game can be played both indoors with some modification or outdoors, teaches listening skills and agility and is fun for young children. The Game of the Week is Red Light, Green Light!
Group Size: Any size
Listening, observation and agility
Before You Start:
- Make sure everyone know the rules and what happens if they move on a ‘Red Light’.
- How to move quickly and safely.
Clearly define the playing area with a designated starting line and finish line.
How To Play:
- Start with everyone along the starting line,
- When you say ‘Green Light’ everyone will move towards the finish line,
- When you say ‘Red Light’ everyone must immediately stop.
- If players are still moving when you call ‘Red Light’, they must go back to the starting line.
- Start a new round when everyone gets across the finish line or when most players make it across the finish line.
- Introduce new colored lights, giving variations how to move towards the finish line, such as run on green, walk heal to toe for yellow light, hopping for purple light, skipping, galloping, tip toeing, etc.
- The leader can designate his/herself as the finish line. This enables the game to move around so that when players get close to the finish line (the leader), the finish lines moves farther away.
- For the hearing impaired, you can turn your back towards the group for red light and turn around (face your group) for green light.
- Remind that no running is allowed.
- Green Light=Walk, Yellow Light = Slow Motion, Red Light =Stop.
- If there are too many to play safely in the space, divide into groups and play multiple rounds. The first person to finish round one can be the leader for round two.
Find more new and exciting games in our games library!