The Game of the Month is Four Corners! This month we're sharing fun indoor recess games. This game can be played easily in the classroom with any object of your choice. The Game of the Week is Huckle Buckle Beanstalk!
Group Size: Any Size
Before You Start:
- Identify an object, such as a bean bag, small ball or cup, to the group.
- Share the special words huckle buckle beanstalk and have everyone repeat it back to you. Until the group can recall and say huckle buckle beanstalk.
- Demonstrate how to move around the room observing, but not touching.
- This game is best played in a classroom.
How to Play:
- Have all players sit in their seats with their heads down and eyes covered.
- Hide the object in plain sight.
- When you say so, players may open their eyes and quietly walk around the room looking for the object with their hands behind their back.
- When a player finds the object, s/he must sit back down and say huckle buckle beanstalk without letting others know where the object is.
- Continue playing until everyone has found the object.
- You may want to encourage players to continue looking for five to ten more seconds after they've found the object so that it's harder for others to know where the object was found.
- If players are having a hard time finding the object, play hot and cold. Say hotter, hot and boiling hot as the player gets closer to the object and colder, cold and ice cold as the player gets further from the object.
Love implementing Game of the Week? Playworks offers professional development programs that will teach your staff to use recess and playtime to improve health and support learning. Curious to learn more? Submit the Training Assessment form and a local Playworks representative will respond directly.