Simplified Game Instructions
# of people to play: 1+
Best for ages: 5+
Setup/Teaching Time: 1-2 minutes
Equipment needed: A ball, or a small, tossable object (rolled up socks work well!)
Goal: To toss the ball in the air and clap as many times as possible before catching it again.
How to Play:
- One person starts the game by throwing the ball in the air, clapping one time, and then catching the ball.
- Once you’ve tried it one time, pass the ball to the person next to you in the circle so they can try. Continue this all the way around the circle, giving everyone a turn.
- If you drop the ball or don’t clap the correct number of times, you were unsuccessful and that’s okay.
- When it gets back to the first person, check-in with everyone. If you successfully clapped and caught the ball, move up to Level Two. If you were unsuccessful, stay on Level One.
- Level Two means that you’ll try to clap two times before catching the ball. Level Three means three claps, Level Four means four claps, and so on.
- Each time the ball comes to you, try the level you are on. If you’re unsuccessful, stay on the same level and try again next time..
- If you’re playing on your own, just work your way up and see how many claps you can get to!
SEL Game Debrief
What did you do to “shake it off” when you made a mistake and didn’t catch the ball?