To develop strategic thinking.
Before You Start
Skills Practiced: Evasion, agility, running and spatial awareness.
- Have everyone line up on one side of the space.
- Remind them that they only become part of the boundaries when they are hit from the waist down.
- Review safety rules, including using underhand throws to below players’ waists.
Large rectangle with boundary lines (preferably a gym).
How to Play
- The leader begins in the middle of the space with two playground balls and shouts a magic word (any word the group has agreed upon) to signal players can run to the other side.
- If a player is hit with a ball while attempting to cross, s/he becomes part of the boundaries to help return balls to the adult.
- Play continues until there are two players left, and the next round begins with those two in the middle with four playground balls.
- More or fewer players can begin in the middle.
- More or fewer balls can be used depending on the desired length of time for the game.