What makes being stuck in traffic so unbearable? The stop and go of the vehicles, the annoying beeping from angry drivers, and the constant thought, “I wish I was home right now,” running through your head. Our game, Traffic Jam, is NOT any of those things! Take a break and get stuck in traffic where you are sure to be vrooming, oil slicking, and slamming on those squeaky fake brakes. Beep Beep!
10 minutes or more
To develop strategic thinking, problem-solving, teamwork, and verbal communication
Before You Start
- Line people up on every cone, except the one in the middle.
- All people on one side of the middle cone will turn right; the others will turn left (so that they are facing each other).
- After explaining the rules, allow the group time to strategize.
Line up cones in a straight line with one more cone than people
How to Play
- The object of the game is to get all players to the opposite side of the middle cone than they started on.
- Players can only move to an unoccupied space.
- Players can’t move backwards or turn around.
- Players may move around one player to an open space.
- Players may not move around more than one person at a time.
- If a team reaches a point where they can no longer move, they must start over in their original positions.
- If there are more than 10 people or so in the group, you can break up into two teams to see which can do it faster.
- For older players, you could have them try to solve the algebraic equation of how many moves it would take.