Positive language and resilience. Skills practiced include shooting a basketball and rebounding.
Before You Start
- Have students line up at the cone, choosing one student to be the superstar and stand on the Superstar Spot.
- Prepare a “Superstar Spot” (polyspot, cone, chalk star) a moderate distance from the basket on one side of the key.
- Set up a cone the same distance away on the other side of the key.
- If playing with younger students, you may want to put a hula hoop on the basket for them to aim at, making basket-making more common.
- Additional equipment needed are basketball hoop/target and polyspot/cone/chalk star for Superstar Spot.
How to Play
- When the superstar is ready, s/he says “go” or the magic word.
- Both students must take their first shot from the cone/superstar spot.
- If neither player’s first shot goes in, they retrieve their own ball and continue shooting from anywhere on the court until one player makes a shot.
- The first player to make it in the hoop becomes/stays the superstar, the two players high five, and the other student goes to the end of the line.
- Play resets and starts on the superstar’s word.
If it is taking too long for students to make a basket, start a countdown. If neither student makes it by the time you get to 0, both students get high fives and go to the back of the line. The next student in line becomes the superstar and a new round begins.
- If a student spends too long as the superstar, you can give her/him a special clap or cheer and have her/him get back in line.