Large Group (10 and up)
10 minutes or more
To develop eye-foot coordination, teamwork, verbal communication and strategic thinking.
Before You Start
- There are 11 players on each team divided into various positions: a goalie, defenders, midfielders, and forwards.
- First possession is awarded to the team who wins a coin flip or Rock Paper Scissors.
A major league soccer field is a little larger than the size of a football field. It has a minimum width of 50 yards, maximum of 100 yards, minimum length of 100 yards, and maximum of 130 yards.
How to Play
- The game begins with a kickoff in the center of the field.
- The two teams stand on opposite sides of the field and wait until the team awarded possession passes the ball forward.
- Once the ball has been touched forward, play begins.
- However, play cannot begin by dribbling the ball; the first touch of the game needs to be a pass.
- When the ball goes out of play from a side boundary line, it is put back in play using a throw-in.
- This is an overhead throw using two hands with both feet remaining on the ground.
- The throw-in is awarded to the team who did not cause the ball to go out of bounds.
- A corner kick is awarded when the ball goes over the end boundary but not through the goal, and is last touched by a defensive player.
- The ball is placed at the nearest corner, and the offensive team gets a free kick.
- A goal kick is awarded when the ball goes over the end boundary but not through the goal, and is last touched by an offensive player.
- The ball is placed in front of the goal area, and the defensive team gets a free kick.
- Tripping, pushing and deliberate use of the hands are called fouls.
- A foul results in a free kick from the point of the foul.
- Illegal use of the hands includes anything from just below the shoulder and down; including elbows and arms.
- A goal is scored when the ball passes through the marked goal area.
- If the game is using cones as the goal, the shot must be below head level of the goalie.
- Play then stops, the ball is returned to the center of the field, and the non-scoring team restarts play with a kick off identical to the one that began the game.