Small Group (1-10)
Under 10 minutes
To provide an opportunity to practice the skills for traditional basketball.
Before You Start
- Explain and demonstrate the game.
- Ask everyone to explain the game back to you.
- If group is larger, divide into groups of five or fewer and provide each group has a ball and a hoop.
- Make sure the everyone know how to spell the word you use. For younger kids, use chalk or a poster to remind them.
- Prepare an alternative basketball activity for players who get out.
How to Play
- Give each player in each group a number.
- Player number one takes a shot from anywhere within the game boundaries.
- If player one makes the shot, number two must attempt a shot from the same spot. If number two makes the shot, number three attempts the same shot, on down the line.
- If a shot is missed, following a shot being made, the player who missed the shot earns a letter. When using POWER, the player will beging with a P.
- The next player can again shoot from anywhere and does not earn a letter if they miss.
- Once a player has earned all the letters in the word POWER, they may go join the alternate activity. The game is over when all players (but one) have earned all five letters in POWER.
- A letter can only be earned if the person shooting misses directly after someone else makes a basket.
Use a different word to spell, such as PIG or HORSE.