Large Group (10 and up)
10 minutes or more
To develop leadership, teamwork, verbal communication, hand-eye coordination and depth perception.
Before You Start
- Divide players into even teams, preferably six on six.
- Have two students play Rock Paper Scissors to determine which team will have possession first.
Place the cones on an open field/space to form a large rectangle, and create two small end zones on each end of the field. Also place cones at the midfield line and at the five yard line on each end of the field.
How to Play
- On the leader’s signal, the offensive team begins at the five yard line.
- Teams have four downs to get to mid field for a first down and four downs to score (maximum of eight downs per possession).
- The game is non-contact (no blocking allowed).
- All changes of possession start at the five yard line, except interceptions which start at the spot of interception. (If an interception occurs in the end zone, the ball is placed on the five yard line.
Rules for Passing:
- The quarterback has seven seconds to throw the ball.
- There is no rushing the quarterback.
- The quarterback cannot run the ball.
- The quarterback can make direct handoffs to other players. No pitches/laterals allowed.
- The quarterback should be aware of no run zones (five yards from each end zone and five yards on either side of midfield). The leader will let teams know when they’ve entered this zone.
- Runners and receivers cannot use their hand to prevent a player from pulling their flag.
- No fumbles. The ball is placed at the spot of the fumble.
- Interceptions cannot be returned so the ball is placed at the spot of interception.
- Two handoffs are allowed every four downs, no passing after a handoff.
- Only forward passes are allowed.
- All penalties are five yards and result in the loss of a down.