Join Our Team
Lead the Play Movement
Senior Development Manager
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. Learn about the energetic, creative people working to ensure every kid has the chance to play—every day.
ABOUT PLAYWORKS, at Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing the school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills by partnering with schools, districts, and after-school programs through services including digital engagement, on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support play, and consultative partnerships.
ABOUT THE POSITION, in the role of Senior Development Manager, you will be an integral part of a Regional team whose responsibility it is to strengthen relationships with donors, community organizations and schools in order to support and scale Playworks’ impact throughout Arizona. Reporting to the Regional Director this individual will support initiatives and strategies to grow and sustain partnerships including foundation and corporate partners, individual donors, event attendees and community partners. The Senior Development Manager will oversee the execution of Playworks’ regional events and volunteer engagement strategies to increase awareness of Playworks impact. The Senior Development Manager will be expected to lead by example and demonstrate Playworks’ core values in all internal and external relationships.
A successful candidate will:
- Experience securing donations, making financial asks and achieving ambitious fundraising goals
- Excel at strategic relationship management and project management
- Have a proven track record of success motivating and mobilizing diverse stakeholders to deliver on shared goals
- Have demonstrated success working collaboratively across departments within an organization
- Have the ability to leverage data to shape and execute on key strategies
- Be able to translate strategic vision across internal/external teams in order to successfully execute programs and deliver outcomes that impact key organizational priorities
- Have the ability to represent Playworks at corporate and community functions
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Business Development & Sustainability
- Work closely with the Regional Director and development team members to chart Playworks Arizona’s future growth and strategic response to an ever-increasing demand for the organization’s programs and services
- Together with the Regional Director and regional development team, design and execute an annual development strategy to ensure securing over $1,000,000 in operating support
- Identify, cultivate, and deliver significant gifts from a diverse base of supporters (corporations, foundations, individuals, events, community partnerships) working in collaboration with the Regional Director and Advisory Board
- Deliver significant gifts (five figures) particularly from foundations
- Develop, manage and provide oversight of an innovative corporate sponsorship strategy
- Manage relationships with a major donor portfolio
- Attend, assist and represent Playworks at various key fundraising events/functions, speaking engagements, tours, and other programs.
- Host program visits and seek new relationships in the philanthropic community
- Prepare regular reports on development progress against targets and work with the Regional Director and Regional Development Team to ensure revenue and fundraising targets are met annually
Board Partnership & Development
- Collaborate with the regional Advisory Board of Directors and Regional Director to create a fund development plan that increases revenues to support the strategic direction of the organization
- Manage development committee and support board with individual fundraising plans
Organizational Leadership & Staff Management
- Serve as strategic thinking partner to Regional Director and functional leads
- Provide coaching, strategic guidance and critical feedback to staff, with a practice of mentorship, respecting the skills, strengths, contributions and challenges of individual team members
- Collaborate with Regional Director , development team, training team, and program team to cultivate, develop and mobilize the Playworks network – stakeholders, volunteers, donors, etc.
Planning, Strategy & External Relations
- Cultivate and steward the local Playworks brand, ensuring consistent communications across the organization
- Manage development and communications calendar and lead quarterly and annual planning processes
- Work with staff to integrate assessment and evaluation into all organizational programs and initiatives
- Create opportunities for stories from the field to be included in events, board meetings, community meetings, donor newsletters, etc.
Administration & Operations
- Manage the development, communications, and events budget and work with the Regional Director to develop monthly reports
- Oversee local Salesforce implementation and database troubleshooting with staff
- Work closely with development and program staff to ensure that all operational functions run smoothly
- Commitment to excellence and passion for Playworks’ mission
- Four (4) years of development and fundraising experience including, portfolio management, donor relations, foundation operations familiarity, corporate opportunities and event planning and execution
- High-energy individual who takes initiative, has a positive outlook, entrepreneurial attitude, a sense of humor, and the ability to thrive in a changing environment. Ability to be flexible and team oriented. Comfort with a playfully professional workplace culture
- Strong attention to detail and proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously in order to meet tight deadlines
- Cultural competency: must possess the ability to work with a diverse group of internal and external individuals, agencies, causes and businesses
- Excellent written, oral communication, and presentation skills, including the ability to dynamically facilitate small and large groups
- Strong interpersonal skills both in person and on the phone
- Intermediate skills in Google Suite (Gmail, Sheets, Docs, etc.), Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) as well as WordPress, Social Media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin IN, Google Suite (Gmail, Sheets, Docs, etc.). Prior knowledge of InDesign and/or Publisher and a plus. familiarity with Canva, Slack, Trello a plus
- Proficiency in database applications and data analysis required, preferably Salesforce
- Willingness to provide support outside of regular business hours (ex. industry events/meetings occasionally occur on nights and weekends) and travel on occasion to various locations throughout Arizona
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package - great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally.
- Competitive nonprofit salary. This is a full-time, exempt position.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401k, life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health and child care spending accounts.
- Generous flexible time off with sick and holiday leave
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you've got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks and how your experience has prepared you for this role.
- References will be requested.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities.
Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can. While diversity is often used in reference to visual characteristics such as race, ethnicity, age, sex and physical appearance, we embrace a broader definition of diversity that also includes less visible factors, We also recognize that individuals can affiliate with multiple identities.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of national origin, religion, gender, differing abilities (physical, mental, learning), sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, political affiliation, military experience, and any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.