Unfreeze a Friend
Less Than 10 minutes
To practice helping others.
Skills Practiced: Balance and movement.
Before You Start
- Have the whole group stand in a circle.
- Announce the boundaries and any safety issues.
- Demonstrate how to balance a bean bag on one’s head.
- Provide everyone with a bean bag and a chance to practice balancing on her or his head.
You will need one bean bag for every player and a open space for everyone to move.
How to Play
- Everyone must balance a bean bag on her or his head.
- The game begins with the leader announcing a movement, such as walk, hop or skip.
- Everyone must move around the space doing the indicated movement while still balancing the bean bag on his or her head.
- If a player’s bean bag falls from her or his head, the player must let it drop to the ground and freeze their body.
- Other players may pick up bean bags and hand them to the frozen players in order for them to return to the game.
- Pre K-2nd students: Allow them to pick up their own bean bags in order to return to the game or allow unfrozen players to pick up the frozen players’ bean bags while holding their own.