To develop the capacity for team play and strategy.
Before You Start
- The field is set up in a rectangle with four large bases.
- A cone is placed in the center of one width of the rectangle, between ‘fourth’ base and first base.
- Be prepared to review calling your ball and fair play.
- Also be prepared to divide the group into two teams and set a kicking order.
- Demonstrate running the bases and throwing below the waist.
- Ask the students to explain the game back to you.
How to Play
- The point of the game is to kick the ball and run the bases 2x and touch home without being called out. Have your team score as many points as possible. The following are the steps to playing the game:
- The kicker kicks the pitch at the cone (home), and then runs the bases.
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, then back to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and then home.
- The kickers, once they have begun to run the bases, can run at any time during play.
- The runners can get “out” in the following ways:
- If a fly ball is caught by the fielding team.
- The runner is tagged with the ball while between bases.
- If the ball hits the player above the waist, s/he gets a free walk home and a point for the kicking team.
- There are no foul balls but players are not allowed to kick the ball backwards.
- Once a team has 5 outs or a 5 minute inning has gone by, they switch sides.
- All play stops when the pitcher has the ball.
- Add additional balls.
- Increase the number of times the students run the bases.