To develop cooperation, strategic thinking and verbal communication.
Before You Start
Skills Practiced: Balance, body awareness and gross muscle control.
Equipment Needed: Lots of old tennis balls.
- Have students line up across the play area with a partner.
- Demonstrate how to stand and balance on the tennis balls with the balls of their feet rather than their heels.
- Allow students to practice with their partners before starting.
- Some groups may require spotters.
- Pass out four tennis balls to each player (eight balls per pair).
Set up a clearly designated play area.
How to Play
- The challenge is to cross a small area with your partner while holding hands and standing only on tennis balls.
- The area is filled with toxic goop and the only thing that will protect you from it are tennis balls.
- If one of the partners steps on the ground they must start over.
- Have groups of three or four go across, or just one.
- Let pairs come up with creative ways to cross.
- Allow for more or less tennis balls.