To develop students’ listening and awareness
Before You Start
Skills Practiced: self-identity and listening
- Identify the boundaries.
- Line up students on one line and have them point/go to the other line
Cone and/or chalk out a space to play
How to Play
- Call out “Walk if…”, “Run if…” or “Hop if…” and an identifier “you have shoe laces”. All students who have shoe laces will walk/run/hop (or another movement) to the other line and wait on it.
- Continue to call our identifiers. “Run if you have Velcro shoes!” “Run if you have on sandals!” until all students are on the other line.
- Turn-around and continue game with new identifiers back to the first line.
Notes: Be aware of what identifiers you use. Be inclusive. Avoid identifiers based on race, class and gender.
- Instead of having students move from one line to another, have them “Run”, “Walk”, “Hop”, etc. in place.