To develop cooperation, teamwork and verbal communication.
Before You Start
Skills Practiced: Balance, agility, running, pacing and following directions.
Equipment Needed: Hula hoops and bean bags.
- Divide the students into groups of four or five.
- Give each group a hula hoop.
- Model how to safely run with someone inside the hula hoop. Everyone facing forward while communicating and working as a team.
Designate a starting line and a delivery spot.
How to Play
- The object is to deliver all the bean bags (pizzas) to the delivery spot.
- One student begins as the “pizza,” by standing in the middle of the hula hoop with a bean bag.
- The other students begin as runners and hold onto the outside of the hula hoop.
- The team runs the pizza to the delivery spot and places the bean bag on the ground before going back to the starting line.
- Once they return from the first trip, the team switches the student that is the pizza, and makes another delivery run.
- This continues until all students have had a chance to be the pizza or until all the bean bags have been delivered.
For more advanced groups challenge them by:
- having them speed-walk backwards
- making the “pizza” balance the bean bag on his/her head during any forward movement
- having the “pizza” blindfolded so that the runners have to communicate to the “pizza” where they should be going.