Large Group (10 and up)
10 minutes or more
To develop cooperation and teamwork.
Before You Start
- Set up cones as bases on a traditional kickball field
- This game can played with all four bases or two bases
- Practice the over/under passing together as a whole group or a short relay race
How to Play
- When the ball is pitched, the first student kicks the ball and runs the bases.
- The runner goes continuously, trying to get around the bases as many times as possible.
- If you are using two bases the student runs back and forth as many times as possible.
- The fielders retrieve the ball. Once a fielder gains possession of the ball, his/her teammates run as quickly as possible to line up in single file behind her/him.
- The ball is then handed over the student’s head to the next person in line. (over)
- The second person hands the ball through his/her legs (under) to the next person who then hands the ball over her/his head again.
- The students pass the ball over and under until the last person in line has possession of the ball and yells, “Stop!”
- At this point, the runner freezes where s/he is and announces how many time s/he made it around to home plate.
- One point is given for each base s/he has touched.
- Everyone kicks through the order once and then the teams switch sides
- Runners go around bases as a team. See Example B in Kickball Group Time.
- After fielding players pass the ball, have the last person run to front of the line to go through the Over-Under line twice.