Mix It Up
Large Group (10 and up)
10 minutes or more
To work on strategic thinking and listening to directions.
Before You Start
Skills Practiced: Agility, evasion, throwing, peripheral vision and following directions.
Equipment Needed: One playground ball and different colored cones.
- Have the students circle up around the cones.
- Practice moving the ball across the circle with underhand hits.
Medium sized circle with cones.
How to Play
- The leader begins the game by quietly telling one student to touch two different colored cones (i.e., blue and purple), that are not right next to each other.
- The student has to try and touch both colored cones and return to his/her spot in the circle without getting hit by one of the balls in the middle of the circle.
- If a student is hit, s/he can return to the circle after doing five jumping jacks.
- After one student has finished, the leader tells the next student what colored cones to touch.
- Tell the students about their cone colors out of order.
- Have students touch more or less than two cones.
- Add a second or third ball and have more than one student touching cones at once.