Large Group (10 and up)
10 minutes or more
To develop cooperation skills and strategic thinking.
Skills Practiced: Throwing, catching, evasion and teamwork.
Before You Start
- Review dodgeball safety rules, especially throwing only below the waist.
- Teach and fairly enforce a consequence for throwing above the waist.
Use a divided rectangle as the playing area, such as a volleyball or basketball court. An area set-up with cones also works.
How to Play
- Divde the group into two teams.
- Each team starts on opposite ends of the court with a line separating them in the middle.
- Teams have one minute to huddle and decide who their team’s medic will be. Have each team secretly tell you who they have chosen.
- Tell the players to wait for your signal to begin and then pass out the balls.
- When both teams are on their lines and ready, give the signal to begin.
- The teams then start throwing. There are four ways to get “wounded”.
- If a player is hit below the waist.
- If s/he tries to catch the ball and drops it.
- If s/he throws the ball and someone on the other team catches it before it bounces.
- If a player goes outside the boundaries unless they are chasing after a ball that has gone out on their side.
- When a player is wounded,’ s/he must kneel down.
- A player who is wounded can still catch and throw the ball but cannot move from the place where s/he is kneeling.
- If a medic comes by and taps a “wounded” player on the shoulder s/he is healed and can move again.
- If the medic gets out no one can heal her/him and the medic cannot tag her/himself.
- The game is over when all players on a team are down/wounded. This game can go on for a very long time. Consider having three five minute rounds instead of a 15 minute game.
- Medic and spy:
- The leader of the game can at any time yell, Spy! 10 Seconds! and then slowly count to 10.
- The designated spy on each team is allowed to take one ball across the line and try to get the other players out.
- The spy must be back on his or her side before time is up. If the spy does not make it back in time they are out and can be tagged by the medic.