Large Group (10 and up)
10 minutes or more
To develop strategic thinking
Before You Start
- Demonstrate safe tagging:
- Light touch, like butterfly wings on the shoulder
- Unsafe tags: hard contact that might cause the person being tagged to fall
- Set up all the cones in a grid formation (i.e. in a square or rectangle with cones an equal distance away from each other).
- Use enough cones for all the students except the tagger and the runner.
- Choose one student to start as the tagger and one to start as the runner.
Open area with boundaries
How to Play
- Have all players other than the tagger and runner stand by a cone in the maze.
- On the leader’s signal, the tagger starts trying to tag the runner.
- To become part of the maze and avoid being tagged, the runner taps the shoulder of a player in the maze, and takes his/her place by the cone.
- That player now becomes the runner, until s/he taps another students’ shoulder.
- If a player gets tagged before getting into the maze, s/he is now the tagger.
- If the group is more advanced, eliminate the cones and have players hold their space in the maze without a visual aid.
- When the leader calls “Switch”, the runner and tagger change rolls; the tagger becomes the runner and the runner is now the tagger.