Large Group (10 and up)
10 minutes or more
To develop teamwork and cooperation
Before You Start
- Demonstrate safe tagging
- Explain the boundaries including the lines they run between and the center circle (island)
- Explain that the two end lines are the shores and the circle is an island with everything else as the ocean.
Can be played outside or in a gym. This game is easiest played on a basketball court with end lines and a center circle. If outside use chalk or cones to create boundaries.
How to Play
- The students must attempt to go across the ocean, but it is “too far to swim without a break” so students must stop at the island on their way.
- The Island has a Grump on it that will try and tag the students as they step onto his/her island.
- Students must put at least one foot onto the island before they can go across to the other side.
- If students get tagged, they become Grumps with her/him.
- Grumps must keep one foot on the island at all times because Grumps are too old to swim.
- If students successfully put one foot on the island and get to the other side, they should wait there until the next round when they will swim back.
- You may have to start counting down because students will take a long time trying to get onto the island.
- Students must actually pretend like they are swimming by doing a swim stroke across the water.
- Grumps can hold hands and make a chain to stretch off of the island and tag others (only 3-5th)