10 minutes or more
To learn tagging skills while working on teamwork.
Before You Start
- Demonstrate safe tagging:
- Light touch, like a butterfly wings, on the shoulder
- Unsafe tags: hard contact that might cause the person being tagged to fall
- Review where players should go when they’ve been tagged.
- Review how to safely and gently touch someone’s shoulders as part of the Dragon’s tail.
How to Play
- One player, the Dragon, can only tag other players.
- When a player is tagged, s/he becomes part of the Dragon’s tail by gently placing their hands on his/her shoulders and following him/her around the play area.
- The Dragon continues to tag players until everyone is part of the tail.
- It is important to play the first round walking, and work your way up to faster speeds depending on players’ abilities at playing safely and the space available.
- Allow the person at the end of the tail to tag players along with the Dragon
- For advanced groups, let everyone start off as a Dragon. When a Dragon is tagged he/she joins the tail of the person who tagged him/her. Keep going until there is only one giant Dragon (works a little like Ro-Sham-Bo Rockstar).