Large Group (10 and up)
10 Minutes or more
To develop cooperation
Before You Start
- Demonstrate safe tagging:
- Light touch, like a butterfly wings, on the shoulder
- Unsafe tags: hard contact that might cause the person being tagged to fall
- Demonstrate that when you get tagged you turn into a magic wand.
- Demonstrate how you turn the magic wand back into a person.
- Designate three magicians to start the game.
- Review the boundaries and the consequence for going outside them, you automatically become a magic wand
Designate a large play area with clear boundaries that has room for players to run
How to Play
- The object of the game is to avoid being tagged by the magicians who are trying to turn everyone into magic wands.
- If you get tagged by the magician you turn into a magic wand and freeze.
- You stay a magic wand until two people join hands creating a circle around you and say “Abracadabra!” to undo the spell.
- If you are not tagged you are avoiding the magicians and undoing the spell for the magic wands.
- Rotate the magicians so that everyone has a chance to be the magician.
- You can make undoing the magic wand sillier with a dance and a song.
- Pre-K: Instead of joining hands to create a circle around a magic wand, two players must simply shake hands and say the magic word, abracadabra, to undo the spell.