We know that writing grants can be a challenging process so we’ve put together these tips to make it as easy as possible for you. We hope this helps you submit a winning application!
- Make sure you answer the funder’s questions! If they give you a format to follow, follow it!
- Keep it short and simple. Funders tend to be busy people so it’s helpful to get to the point.Tell them about Playworks, what you’re proposing to do, who stands to benefit, why it is important, how you know this intervention works, and how much it will cost.
- Make sure to include evaluation statistics. Choose those that make sense for a particular funder’s interest. If a funder is more interested in education and school climate, use those stats. If the funder is more interested in physical activity and health, use those. Keep in mind that funders are busy, so choose thoughtfully what to include and be succinct.
- Highlight Playworks’ 21 years of success! For some grants, it will help to know that we are a national organization. For others, it’ll be more important to highlight local impact and presence.
- Use spell check before you send anything off! You want to put your best effort forward and that means no typos.
- Have another person read your proposal and provide you with feedback.
- Mention or attach recent articles/video pieces on Playworks and the power of play and recess, see these:
- Trim Recess? Some Schools Hold on to Child’s Play by NPR
- The Power of the Playground by New York Times
- Jill Vialet, 2013 James Irvine Foundation Leadership Awards
- Playworks Founder Jill Vialet at TEDxSF
- Check out more articles, news, and videos about Playworks and recess!
- If possible, include a quote from a principal, teacher, kid, or parent. When the people we serve talk about how Playworks has improved their lives and their schools, funders pay attention.
Bonus: Review these suggestions for developing and writing a successful grant application: General Grant Writing Advice.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We are rooting for you!