Large Group (10 and up)
10 Minutes or more
To develop teamwork, cooperation, verbal communication and eye-hand coordination.
Before You Start
- Use the cones to create boundaries and make sure there are two end zones.
- Divide the group into two even teams.
- Have one player from each team do Rock Paper Scissors to determine who has possession first.
- Line both teams up on each baseline of the field.
How to Play
- On the leader’s signal, the team starting on defense throws or kicks the ball (depending on skill level) to the offensive team.
- One player from the offense either catches the ball or picks it up where it lands, and tries to pass it to one of his/her teammates.
- When anyone on either team has the ball, s/he can only use one pivot foot to move. They cannot take steps or run with the ball.
- The offense tries to advance the ball down the field with passes, and scores a point if one of the team members catches the ball in the end zone.
- The defense tries to block or knock down the ball during a pass to gain possession.
- The defense must stay a step back from the offensive player and may not touch that person.
- If a ball is knocked down or intercepted, play of the game is switched and the defense now becomes the offense, heading toward their end zone.
- Use different colored jerseys to differentiate the teams, as directions change often in this game and players may get confused.
- For those just learning the game, allow one or two steps when they are throwing the ball.