Steal the Bacon – Traditional
Large Group (10 and up)
To develop teamwork, listening skills and number recognition.
Before You Start
- Describe the rules and demonstrate running into the center, grabbing the "bacon" (a bean bag or other smaller object), and running it across their teamâ's goal line (one at each end of the playing area).
- Ask the players to describe the rules of the game back to you.
- Remember that younger players may have a difficult time remembering their numbers.
Large rectangular area, such as a basketball court or field. Designate clear boundary lines.
How to Play
- Divide everyone into two to four groups; each team sits on a boundary line.
- Give each player a number, each group should have a one, a two, etc.
- Place the "bacon" in the center of the playing area and assign each team one goal line at either end of the playing area.
- The adult calls out a number and all students with that number run to pick up the "bacon."
- The person who gets the "bacon" first tries to run across his/her teamâs goal line without being tagged. The person whose number was called who did not get the â"bacon" should try to tag the other player before they get across the goal line.
- Once someone is tagged or gets across their goal line, the round is over. Everyone who played in the round give each other high-five's and they go back to the boundary line with their teams.
For older players:
- Use addition/subtraction, multiplication/division to call out the numbers, such as the players with the number that is equal to two plus three.
- Call more than one number at a time and require players to pass the bacon once before they can score.
- Have children stay seated while they are waiting for their turn.
- Use a washable marker to write their numbers on their hands.
- Place two balls/objects in a hula hoop in the center and make sure each team knows which ball and which goal is theirs.
- Before playing, demonstrate how to stand up, get the ball, kick/throw/roll it through the goal, retrieve the ball, put it back into the hula hoop and sit back down.