To develop evasive movement.
Before You Start
Skills Practiced: Evasion, use of peripheral vision, aim, accuracy and strategy.
- Explain the boundaries and roles of the game as well as the concept of returning to active play when the person that hit you gets hit.
- Review Dodgeball safety rules, especially throwing only below the waist.
- Teach and fairly enforce a consequence for throwing above the waist.
Use a large play area with clear boundaries appropriate for the number of players.
How to Play
- The dodgers will make a line on one of the boundary lines.
- The point of the game is to avoid being hit with the ball from the waist down.
- Students have five seconds to spread out inside the play area.
- The ball is thrown into the air and students must wait for the ball to bounce three times before they can grab the ball.
- Once a student has the ball they may take no more than three steps with the ball before they throw or pass.
- If a student has been hit below the waist or tries to catch the throw and drops it, they must sit down exactly where they were hit.
- If a student’s throw is caught, the thrower must sit.
- If a student with the ball has taken their three steps and another student is sitting, the student with the ball may pass to the sitting student.
- After the student makes a pass they can move as many steps as they want, to a new location and wait to receive a pass back from the sitting student.
- When the student gets the ball back they make take three more steps and throw or pass.
- A student (A), who has been hit, may not stand up and continue playing until the student (B), who hit student (A), is hit.
- If student (B) has hit multiple students and then is hit him/herself, all the students hit by student (B) can stand up and play again.
- Play continues until there is only one student left standing.
- In the event that the ball goes out of bounds, one student will retrieve the ball and begin by taking three steps as soon as they step back in bounds with the ball.
You can impose a time limit on holding/throwing the ball.