To develop strategic thinking and agility.
Before You Start
Skills Practiced: Throwing, catching, evasion, jumping and running.
- Clearly define the safety rules:
- Rolling the ball underhand only. Demonstrated this and have all players practice with an imaginary ball.
- All balls should be low to the ground, below players’ knees.
- Teach and give a fair consequence for throwing balls above the knees, such as telling the leader why it is safest to roll the ball below the knees or running to a designated spot on the playground before returning.
- Divide the fairly group into two teams.
- One team lines up shoulder to shoulder at one end of the alley.
- Divide the second team in half. Each half stands outside either set of cones, with the alley in the middle.
- Explain the rules and ask the players to explain them back to you.
Find a rectangle area and create an “alleyway” with the cones. Spread out the balls outside the alley.
How to Play
- When the teams are in their positions and ready, give a signal to start the game.
- The running team now has ten seconds to run from one end of the alley to the other.
- As they are running, the other team attempts to roll the “snowballs” underhand and hit the runners below the knees.
- Throwers must stay behind the cones when they roll or it doesn’t count if they hit someone.
- If a runner gets hit or does not make it to the other end of the alley in ten seconds they cheer in a designated area.
- When all of the runners are eliminated the teams switch roles.
For more advanced players, allow players to throw the ballsÂ underhand below the waist or knees.