The ground has become HOT “Lava” and the only way across is using hula hoops as leaping pads. Can your students get from one side to the other without touching the lava?
10 minutes or more
To develop student’s ability to keep their balance and cooperation.
Before You Start
Skills Practiced: Hopping and jumping
- Demonstrate how to avoid contact with each other.
- Students should be able to repeat all rules and signals.
- Have students line up in a straight line.
Lay hula hoops in a line (either in a row or zigzag)
How to Play
- Create a scenario, tell the students that they are in a volcano and the only way to get out before it erupts is hopping on the stones (the hula hoops).
- One at a time, each student should run, hop, or jump through the hula hoops.
- Once a player has made it across safely have them line up at the end.
- If a student misses a hula hoop they go back to the end of the line a wait to try again.
- Game finishes once everyone has made across the lava safely.
- For older groups, have students go 2 or more at a time.
- Lay out the hula hoops further apart once players understand the game, making it more difficult to cross the lava.
- When a player misses a hoop, they can only use 1 leg. If they miss again a hula hoop is removed and they can use both legs again.