Large Group (10 and up)
Under 10 minutes
Learning how to work within a group to meet a challenge.
Before You Start
Skills Practiced: Learning how to develop trust in others.
- Have students form a circle and number off by 1’s and 2’s.
- Explain that the game is a challenge and discuss the concept of “trust.”
- Designate a signal to start.
- Make sure students are holding hands and remember their numbers.
- Emphasize the importance of holding hands firmly but not painfully.
How to Play
- The students hold hands and when you give the signal, the 1’s lean forward and the 2’s lean backward.
- The challenge is to keep holding hands while maintaining balance once half the group is leaning back and the other half is leaning forward.
- Once the group has managed to balance, bring them back to center and change roles.
- If the group has switched roles successfully, challenge them to do it with their eyes shut.
- Discuss how”trust” played a role in the game.
- Play it in a straight line with the ends standing straight.
- Put bean bags on their heads and challenge the team to not drop the beanbag as they lean forwards or backwards.