Large Group (10 and up)
10 minutes or more
To develop cooperation
Before You Start
Equipment Needed: 12 cones divided equally into 2 colors, additional cones to mark “zone”
- Divide players into 2 teams. Assign each team to a side of the playing field.
- Make sure students understand all rules and know where the boundaries are located
- Demonstrate safe tagging:
- Light touch, like butterfly wings on the shoulder
- Unsafe tags: hard contact that might cause the person being tagged to fall
Use a rectangular space with a center line. Set up one zone on opposite sides of the field, this zone will be where players who get tagged can wait. Place 6 cones of one color on each side of the field.
How to Play
- Each team is trying to bring the opposing teams’ cones to their side while keeping their own cones safe on their side.
- You can only carry one cone of a single color at a time (if cones are green and blue, a player can only carry one green and one blue at a time).
- If tagged while on the opposite side, the player must return the cones in his or her hands to where they came from and then go to the waiting zone on the opposite side of the field from their team.
- Players can be released from the waiting zone by being tagged out by a teammate and get a free walk back to their side.
- The game is over when one team has all of their cones plus the other team’s cones on their side.
Tagged players do not have to return the cones, they can leave the cones where they were tagged