Large Group (10 and up)
Under 10 minutes
Practice identifying colors and number sense
Before You Start
Equipment Needed: Anything with different colors (cones, hula hoops, bean bags, paper, etc).
- Practice doing spelling jumping jacks, spelling out the colors of the different objects while doing jumping jacks.
- Demonstrate safe tagging:
- Light touch, like butterfly wings on the shoulder
- Unsafe tags: hard contact that might cause the person being tagged to fall
- Review boundaries and rules, ask for questions.
- Choose 1-3 people to start as the taggers.
Mark boundaries of a medium size space for all players to run. Evenly space the different colored cones picked for the game on the outside of the boundaries.
How to Play
- Everyone moves within the boundaries trying to avoid the taggers.
- Each time the tagger touches someone, s/he must say a color for that person to go to.
- When a person is tagged, that player must run to the color designated by the tagger and spell the color out loud while doing jumping jacks before returning in to the tag area.
- Instead of colors, set up stations with numbers. For examples: stations with X number of bean bags, such that players must count the bags while doing jumping jacks.
- Instead of colors, set up Strength and Flexibility stations.