Large Group (10 and up)
15 - 25 Minutes
To practice listening to directions and understand the importance of exercise.
Before You Start
Equipment Needed: Chairs, either cafeteria, classroom, or gym
- Begin with a warm up with slow music, if available.
- After four or five minutes of stretching, switch to faster music and lead students through several chair exercises.
- Review boundaries and rules, ask for questions.
If possible, have participants move their chairs several feet away from their desks in classroom.
How to Play
- While sitting on their chair have them, hold the bottom of the chair with both hands and raise alternate knees up and down.
- Reach down to the floor with the left hand then the right hand.
- Hold the bottom of the chair with both hands and alternate lifting each leg straight up to seat level and down again.
- Stand in front of the chair and place the hands on either side of the chair, raise the right leg backwards straight up and down 10 times, and then repeat with the left leg.
Increase breath counts and reps for older participants.