Catch and Pass Volleyball
Large Group (10 and up)
Under 10 minutes
To teach teamwork while working together to get the ball over the net.
Skills Practiced: Teamwork, throwing, catching, passing
Before You Start
- Fairly split the group into two teams.
- Have volunteers demonstrate the concepts of bumping, setting and serving.
- Teach the rules of the game and ask the players to explain it back to you.
- Emphasize the concept of passing and looking for the best place to return the ball.
Create a traditional volleyball court, using lines or cones for clear boundaries.
How to Play
- Arrange players in standard volleyball formation, with four to six players in two rows on each side of the net. Others wait in a line on each side to rotate into the game.
- The ball is served by throwing or serving it over the net.
- Players must catch, pass and throw or hit the ball back over the net in three tries or less.
- Play continues until one team:
- Hits or throws the ball outside the boundaries.
- Does not put the ball into play on the other side of the net in three tries or less.
- Allows the ball to touch the floor on their side.
- This game can be used to teach rotation.
- Only the serving team can earn points.
- If the serving team loses a volley, the other team gets the serve.
- Teams rotate each time they regain the serve.
If no net is available, consider a rope between two poles or having players practice hitting the ball above head level when returning it to the other team.