Around the World
Less Than 10 minutes
To provide an opportunity to practice the basic skills for traditional basketball.
Before You Start
- Explain the rules of the game.
- Demonstrate how a player moves to the next marker and shoots again after a successful shot.
- Demonstrate how a player, after missing their shot, moves under the basket and rebounds the ball for the next player.
- Ask the students to explain the game back to you.
Place cones or chalk marks around the perimeter of the basketball key (area near the hoop).
How to Play
- Line players up behind first cone/chalk mark.
- The first player shoots from the first spot. If s/he makes the basket, s/he advances and shoots from the next spot. The same player continues around the markers until a basket is missed.
- After this player misses, s/he rebounds the ball, passes it to the next player in line, and goes to the end of the line.
- On each player's second, third, etc. turn, that player returns to the last place s/he attempted a basket and continues as before from that spot.
- A player is finished when s/he has successfully made baskets all the way around the court. This player may begin again from the first spot.
Once a player makes it all the way around, they have to go backwards around the circuit.