Large Group (10 and up)
10 Minutes or more
To practice catching and throwing while being defended and defending areas of a field.
Before You Start
- Split group into two teams and use different colored jerseys to distinguish each team.
- Remind kids to keep their head and eyes up to prevent running into another person.
- Designate a large rectangular play area with clear boundaries and four or more zones marked lengthwise by cones.
How to Play
- The object of the game is for teams to score 21 points by completing passes in different areas of the field.
- One team begins on the line of scrimmage and attempts to complete a pass within a zone to score points.
- The teams switch from offense to defense after every four passes.
- All players must stay within the field.
- The defending team will cover the offensive team players and try to hold them to as few points as possible.
- The quarterback must stand behind the line of scrimmage.
- Points are scored for a catch at certain positions on the field and are determined by the zone in which the ball is caught, not where the player runs.
- If a defensive team intercepts (catches) the ball from the offensive team, the defensive team scores three points.
- Also called “In the Zone”