March 10–16 marked AmeriCorps Appreciation Week! AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs of which members commit their time to address critical community needs. We have 25 AmeriCorps members serving our school communities with Playworks Northern California. They are fundamental to our program, and we are grateful for their commitment to our mission.
To show our appreciation, we did something special every day and even recruited school staff to help celebrate. Our actions of thanks included:
- Goodie bags of homemade treats delivered to AmeriCorps members at their schools
- Signed thank you cards from our Playworks office staff and other Coaches
- Shout-outs over the school loudspeakers
- Recess takeovers by Playworks Managers and Directors
Playworks AmeriCorps Coaches create safe, healthy, and inclusive playgrounds for our partner schools. Through play, Coaches inspire kids to become their best selves and help foster a school environment where students can make the most out of every learning opportunity. AmeriCorps members also empower fourth- and fifth-graders to take on leadership roles and improve their school community through Junior Coach Programs. Coaches help students work together to learn recess games and practice fair play and conflict resolution. These young leaders then teach these skills to their classmates. The impact of AmeriCorps members doesn’t stop on the playground. Coaches bring students, parents, teachers, and school administrators together by facilitating after-school sports leagues and community engagement activities.
Playworks AmeriCorps Coach benefits include:
- Professional development
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award
- Career readiness and growth
- Semi-monthly living stipend and medical insurance
- A network of nearly 1 million AmeriCorps alumni
You can do your year of AmeriCorps service with us too! Apply today.