Reporting Live… from Fourth Grade!

1. Updates

Solomon, a fourth-grader and Playworks Junior Coach, was looking for the scoop on recess for his school newspaper at University Heights Charter School in Newark. He sat down with the school’s executive director, Misha Simmonds, to find out how recess has changed and — just as important — what his favorite game is.

Why did you bring Playworks to the school?
I wasn’t satisfied with how recess was going. There wasn’t organized activity or enough supervision. I wanted someone to make the activities more fun and organized, and reduce the number of fights.

What do you like the most about the program?
Our coach, Coach Quinn. He brings a lot of energy and cooperates with the teachers by incorporating what kids are learning in their classes into the activities. And he’s a good role model for the students.

How has the school changed over the past few months?
Coach Quinn taught the students how to resolve some of the petty conflicts during play and outside of play, like with ro-sham-bo. And when kids go back to class after lunch and recess, they are ready to learn. They don’t have as many problems as I remember them having last year. Teachers have even used some of Coach Quinn’s techniques in the classroom to get students to focus.

What is your favorite game?
Builders and movers! You put out all the cones and if you’re a builder you have to put the cone upright. If you’re a mover you have to put the cone upside down. It gets everyone active and organized, and no one gets left out of the game.

How often do you get in the game?
A couple times a week during recess or in classes. I love to play at recess! I come back with a lot more energy. I wish I could do it every day.

Can you describe Playworks in one word?
Positive is the first word that comes to my mind. It’s positive about physical activity, playing together and supporting each other by not being negative toward fellow students.

More Updates

three people with Playworks shirts
three people with Playworks shirts

July 28, 2022

A year of social and emotional learning ›

“You can’t do SEL, trauma, or equity work without each other,” Jennette Claassen, Head of Evaluation, Playworks. As Playworks continued to progress on our equity journey, we explored a critical question: what are the intersections between play, social and emotional learning, physical activity, and trauma? A working group focused on this question decided, among other…

August 24, 2021

Playworks Founder Jill Vialet Publishes ‘Why Play Works’ ›

Play brings out the best in every kid. Over the course of 25 years since Jill Vialet founded Playworks, she and her colleagues, as well as researchers and play experts, have demonstrated precisely how and why play works to help kids learn and grow in the most positive and healthy ways. Jill gathered stories from people…

June 25, 2021

Playworks & Buffalo Sabres Partner for Girls Community Leadership Program ›

When the Buffalo Sabres Foundation was looking for ways to virtually engage their young fans after their Kids Club programming was canceled due to COVID, they turned to Playworks. Building off of the Sabres’ interest in introducing ice hockey to more girls, Playworks created the Girls Community Leadership Program. Dontae Privette, Playworks Community Engagement and…