- Are you someone who wants to make a difference in your community?
- Are you a young professional seeking to enhance your resume with a mission you’re passionate about?
- Do you attend networking events and find after talking about your job, the conversation hits a standstill?
- Do you want to help plan an Ugly Sweater Party at Karbach Brewery to benefit a worthy cause?
If you’ve answered yes to any of these questions, serving on Playworks’ Young Friends Board is right for you. This exclusive opportunity gives you the chance to give back to the Houston community in a way that just volunteering for an afternoon doesn’t do.
Addressing education issues in Texas is a major concern for both the public and private sectors. But, did you know an overlooked opportunity for promoting learning exists and is underutilized at every school? That element is play at recess.
At Playworks, you will have the opportunity to bring out the best in every kid through the power of play. This commitment allows you to impact education in schools, using play as a powerful developmental tool to achieve success in academics.
We believe play helps children grow socially, emotionally, physically, and academically. And most importantly, we believe you can have fun helping us serve more than 61,000 children next school year.
- The exclusive opportunity to network with our senior Board of Directors. Their professional experiences range from real estate, public service, science, engineering, real estate, marketing, communication, sales, and business.
- Give back to your community in a more meaningful way
- Add community service activities for your resume
- Network with other area professionals and Playworks Texas stakeholders
- Learn leadership and get valuable Board of Directors experience with a national nonprofit
- Learn about development and fundraising
- Feel awesome
Responsibilities of serving on Playworks Young Friends Board
- While there are no fiduciary responsibilities as a Young Friends Board Member, we require every member to make a small monetary contribution. All you have to do is join Playworks’ High Five Club: this is a monthly donation program where you set the amount, with the minimum being only $5, that’s only $60 for the entire year. (I’m sure you’ll agree that you spend more than that on coffee in a week. And this donation is tax deductible your coffee is not.)
- This opportunity is more hands on than other BORED (or Board – get the pun?!) opportunities out there. We are asking for a commitment from you to attend and corral your friends to attend Playworks’ fun events in the community, which include a Golf Tournament (complete with a roaming beer cart), Playworks Walk for Recess and Playworks’ Ugly Sweater Party to be held at Karbach Brewery on Wednesday, December 9th. We're also asking you to take ownership and plan the fun at th Ugly Sweater Party.
- The kids need you too! We are asking that you commit to helping at at least three developmental sports league games throughout the school year. These games range from soccer, girls’ basketball, volleyball, and flag football. The matches take place after work at our partner schools. You can referee or just be a sideline cheerleader – it’s totally up to your comfort level. The only thing we ask is that you submit to a background check.
- Be familiar with Playworks’ mission, programs, and services and be able to deliver concise “elevator speeches” about the organization
- Be a Playworks diplomat between the organization and those with whom you have a business or personal relationship with in the community
- Attend bi-monthly meetings
- Read and respond to email roundups
- Help recruit other Young Friends Board Members
So if you’re ready for a fun way to make a meaningful impact on young lives, contact Stacey Hewitt, Playworks Texas Development Associate at 281-661-8367 or email@example.com.