In the coming days and weeks, many of us will find ourselves spending more and more time in our homes. When kids are home from school and adults are home from work, it’s tempting to spend the day in front of our TV, iPad, and computer screens–but Playworks has a solution.
We challenge all of you–adults AND kids–to get up and play EVERY DAY that you’re home from work or school. To make it easy, we have a list of games that can be played indoors with little to no equipment. Let the games begin!
No Equipment Needed!
- Huckle Buckle Beanstalk – All you need to play is one small household item and a room to hide it in! This game is a Playworks favorite for groups of four and up.
- What are you Doing? – Imagination and creativity are the name of the game here. All you need are two or more participants for this fun and active charades game.
- Four Corners – A game that requires quiet and careful movement – great for indoors. You’ll need three or more players for this one.
- Simon Says – You remember this one! A perfect game for adults or older kids to lead for the little ones. Kids can practice listening carefully and following directions.
- Kids getting restless? Lead a quick game of Up, Down, Stop, Go or Land, Sea, Air to get them up and moving safely indoors.
- This is my Nose – A game of concentration and mix-ups! This game is usually played as a large group icebreaker, but all you need is a group of three to play at home.
- Zip, Zap, Pop and Whoosh Ball are excellent concentration games for groups of older kids and adults!
- Sardines – A classic twist on hide-and-seek. This game works well with four or more participants.
- Chi Master – While best with larger groups, you can play this one with as few as three people and no equipment at all! Get your poses ready.
All You Need is a Ball!
- Concentration Ball – A game of quick thinking that can be played with two or more older kids and adults!
- Magic Ball – For the younger kids and creative thinkers. No throwing involved in this one, so it’s great for small spaces!
- Silent Ball – A game for when the adults need a quiet house! Best with three or more players–there are many ways to modify this game for any age group.
- Bubbles – Play this game seated on the floor using a beach-ball or balloon for best results!
- Bob the Bunny – Another favorite for Kindergarten through 2nd graders. You’ll need at least four participants for this one.
And keep in mind, Rock, Paper, Scissors is a fair and easy way to resolve conflicts at home, whether you’re playing or not. Always encourage kids to “rock it out” and move on so everyone can get back in the game.
Play on, and don’t forget to wash your hands!
– The Playworks North Carolina Team