Join Our Team
Lead the Play Movement
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. Learn about the energetic, creative people working to ensure every kid has the chance to play—every day.
ABOUT PLAYWORKS, at Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing the school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills by partnering with schools, districts, and after-school programs through services including digital engagement, on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support play, and consultative partnerships.
ABOUT THE POSITION, in the role of Site Coordinator, you provide on-site and virtual consultation by teaming up with schools and youth partners to provide consultation and professional development to staff that foster social thinking and increase physical activity through play based learning. You will work directly with a designated schools administration, teachers, and recess teams to provide expertise on Playworks best practices, model and teach the strategies, games, and systems to develop and sustain a positive classroom and recess culture. In partnership with the school, Site Coordinators create opportunities where students and school staff are active, learn leadership skills and conflict resolutions tools, and practice respectful and inclusive behavior.
Program Implementation Duties
- Plan and implement a consultative play-based program at two to four public elementary schools.
- Coordinate with administration, educators and recess teams for scheduling programmatic delivery in person or virtually. Including collecting and maintaining paperwork, organizing and keeping current on daily, weekly, monthly schedules, meeting agendas, notes and data.
- Maintain communication between Playworks staff, school staff, teachers, and volunteers
- Plan and implement the learning units and recess staff trainings for program components.
- Deliver onsite and/or virtual training, coaching, consultation, and modeling to school personnel regarding implementation of the following components.
- Recess - With school personnel, create and coach recess staff to develop a safe and inclusive recess experience. Per a schools COVID 19 policy, have a significant presence at recess in person or virtually by organizing and playing games with 20+ students as well as role modeling positive behavior.
- Student leadership program – with school personnel, organize an in person or virtual “Junior Coach” student leadership program by facilitating training as well as coaching staff to supervise and manage Junior Coaches roles in the classroom and recess.
- Instructional classes - coordinate and lead instructional classes in person and virtually with elementary grade levels students and their teacher in skills building, cooperative games, and activities to increase awareness of rules, boundaries, skills utilized and cultural expectations at recess.
- Model Playworks core values, program implementation, group management, and rapport building strategies for school personnel.
- Provide school personnel with action plans and feedback regarding program implementation.
- Lead monthly meetings with school personnel to discuss best practices for program implementation and program quality goals.
- Provide Playworks Program Manager with observation notes and program strategy for program quality consultation priorities to school.
- Facilitate training(s) with the Program Manager for school staff.
School Partnership Duties:
- Consistently represent Playworks’ brand in a professional manner.
- Design program schedule with input and support from school administration.
- Communicate with school administration regarding program implementation logistics and management support needs.
- Facilitate school’s transition to other Playworks training, programs, and products in preparation for future school year.
- Showcase Playworks services in additional prospective schools to assist with an existing school recruitment strategy for growing TeamUp services within the region
- Participate in opportunities to become a certified trainer in Playworks Pro services.
- Provide timely client communication, proactive internal Playworks communication and timely reporting.
- Collect and maintain paperwork including organizing daily, weekly, and monthly schedules, timesheets, and mileage reports.
- Support school recruitment administration that may include, school contact research, analyzing outreach data, attending local conferences and resource fairs.
- Provide Playworks Program Manager with weekly observational updates on program quality and partner in consultation priorities to schools.
Regional Support Duties:
- Support in delivering corporate engagements to adults such as School Beautification, Play Days, Corporate Recess in person or virtually.
- Support regional team and national program department with delivery of programmatic learning, pre-service training, management resources and contribute to the development and continued quality improvement of Playworks curriculum.
- Participate in fundraising projects and events i.e. End of the Year Appeal and annual events.
If you're a good fit for this position, you already know most of what this job entails. However, to be sure we're providing a complete picture, here are some details:
- Success in this position will require you to be highly organized, great at multitasking, with a strong attention to detail and ability to manage time and multiple priorities
- The strongest candidate will have proven experience and success in managing dynamic programming, staying up to date on administrative responsibilities, be a motivated self-starter with ability to set clear goals and follow through with flexible and creative problem solving.
Required Skills & Experience
- Proven organizational skills in meeting or exceeding expectations in production of timely planning and deliverables such as program plans, reports and observational notes.
- Extensive knowledge of youth development principles and practices, especially relating to social and emotional learning, play and inclusion.
- At least 2 years of experience working directly with small and large groups of children.
- Experience working collaboratively with adults and facilitating trainings for adults..
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills with the ability to facilitate small and large group presentations.
- Experience establishing and maintaining professional relationships with internal leadership and teams and external clients through excellent interpersonal skills and professionalism.
- Experience interacting with diverse communities and ability to integrate into school communities.
- Knowledge of computer and internet based programs especially Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) Google Drive, and virtual meeting platforms such as Google Meets and Zoom.
- This position may require travel to various regional locations. School sites may be widely dispersed in the city/region therefore daily access to reliable transportation is required.
- Requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
- Ability to work from home if needed.
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package - great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally.
- This is a full-time, salary, exempt position.
- At Playworks, our starting salary takes into consideration internal pay equity, geographic pay differential and robust external market data. We highly value transparency and equity within compensation and therefore are committed to adhering to established compensation pay points. The starting salary for this position is $46,500
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) plans with employer match of up to 3% of salary, life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health, and child care spending accounts.
- Generous paid vacation, sick and holiday leave.
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you've got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks and how your experience has prepared you for this role.
- References will be requested.
Service Environment: This position operates in both a school and office environment both indoors and outdoors. The position interacts with children on playgrounds and in classrooms on a daily basis. A significant portion of the interaction with schools may occur virtually.
Typical physical and mental demands:
This position requires sufficient physical ability and mobility to stand for extended periods at times; walk on a school site in various weather conditions; to climb stairs at some sites; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach and twist and, dependent on assignment the employee may occasionally lift, push, pull and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities.
Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can. While diversity is often used in reference to visual characteristics such as race, ethnicity, age, sex and physical appearance, we embrace a broader definition of diversity that also includes less visible factors. We also recognize that individuals can affiliate with multiple identities.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of national origin, religion, gender, differing abilities (physical, mental, learning), sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, political affiliation, military experience, and any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.