All Open Positions
ABOUT THE POSITION, the Executive Director in Arizona is the leader of local regional operations and team members. Reporting to the HUB Vice President - who oversees the operations in Utah, PacNW, Colorado, and Arizona. The Executive Director is responsible for the region’s financial success and strategic impact. You will work closely with the Development Manager, Regional Partnerships Manager and Program Director in the region and the Arizona regional board.
You will be responsible for inspiring and managing a team that delivers Playworks’ three pillars of regional success: sustainable financials, sustainable impact, and sustainable teams.
In this role, you will:
- Create and implement a long term sustainable strategic vision for Playworks Arizona and its associated territories which encompasses the mission and vision of Playworks and the needs of the region’s ecosystem;
- Create and maintain an annual regional business plan with input from the region’s stakeholders;Provide executive leadership for Playworks’ regional finances, leading the region’s strategies for fundraising, earned income, state government funding and board development;
- Provide authentic leadership and development for Playworks Arizona’s team, collaborating with staff and board members to set and execute the regional goals, and strategies and drive regional results;
- Create an inspiring team environment which emphasizes a positive team culture and fosters an empowered and innovative team, through coaching, mentoring, and training;
- Design and implement a budget to accomplish the goals of Playworks in the region;
- Accurately forecast revenue and expenses for the region on an ongoing basis;
- Support Playworks’ impact in the region with the regional leadership team, including program planning, implementation, expansion, evaluation, and overall quality;
- Support new school partnerships and maintaining existing relationships with school, district, and community partners, working closely with the Program Director and Regional Partnerships Manager;
- Drive fundraising efforts for the region, including strategic planning, providing guidance to the Arizona development team and engaging the Arizona board;
- Establish new funding relationships and ensure we maintain strong existing relationships with funders, working closely with the regional development team;
- Work with the Regional Partnerships Manager to design and implement an expansion plan to drive more engagement and visibility throughout Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada;
- Build and leverage strong strategic external community partnerships to further spread the impact of safe and healthy play throughout the region;
- Work closely with the Hub VP to develop and establish government relations, secure federal and state funding and generate brand awareness within the policy arena;
- Work closely with the headquarters team and other regional Executive Directors and regional leaders throughout the country to share best practices and promote learning;
- Staff the Arizona regional board including driving results, championing board engagement, membership recruitment and committee management;
- Exemplify our organizational values, promote a fun and collaborative environment, communicate expectations, and recognize star performers- there are a lot of high-fives given at Playworks!
- Represent Playworks at /in the region with like-minded organizations and institutions.
To be sure we're providing a complete picture, here are some details:
- You are committed to Playworks’ mission and vision to improve outcomes for children and schools. You are also committed to Playworks Equity Statement, recognizing that equity learning is a journey that will require a willingness to participate in organizational-wide learning and development.
- Success in the position will depend on your demonstrated record of success leading fundraising, managing a budget, and nurturing high performing teams.
- You will have a deep knowledge of the philanthropic landscape and public school system in the region, and an extensive professional network in the area.
- Your fundraising experience will include significant, verifiable achievements in all categories of philanthropy, including corporations, major donors, and foundations.
- Your prior leadership experiences and references should reflect a leadership style that is inclusive, adaptable, and brings out the best in a team.
- You will set an example for all of your region’s stakeholders and lead by it.
- As the external face of Playworks you will have exceptional communication and relationship skills—the ability to listen, discern, think on one’s feet, inspire confidence, and speak and write persuasively on a daily basis with people of diverse interests and backgrounds.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Strong track record in fundraising, including the creation and maintenance of high-level relationships within the philanthropic community.
- Experience building external relationships with school districts, government agencies, and collaborative partners.
- Experience developing, directing, and leading teams (staff and board) with demonstrated excellence using outcome measurements and goal-setting.
- Entrepreneurial self-starter and creative thinker with experience producing results in a rapidly growing, fast-paced, and dynamic environment.
- You must have outstanding communication skills - in addition to maintaining an open line of communication, you'll demonstrate excellent communication skills, including good phone and email etiquette and the ability to facilitate small and large group presentations.
- Sufficient comfort and understanding with technology to use it to advance initiatives and improve operations.
- Passionate commitment to Playworks’ mission and vision to improve outcomes for children and schools.
- 10+ years as a successful leader in the nonprofit sector, government, private sector or education with proven visionary management and strategic planning capability.
- Flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
- Knowledge of the cultural and educational landscape of the region.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package - great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally. We offer:
- This is a full-time, exempt position that reports to the Vice President, Field Operations
- At Playworks, our compensation takes into consideration internal pay equity, geographic pay differential and robust external market data. We highly value transparency and equity within compensation and therefore are committed to adhering to established compensation pay points. The salary for this position is $115,300.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) plans with employer match of up to 3% of salary, life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health, and child care spending accounts.
- Generous flexible vacation policy and paid sick and holiday leave
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you've got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks and how your experience has prepared you for this role.
- References will be requested.
ABOUT PLAYWORKS, at Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing the school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills by partnering with schools, districts, and after-school programs through services including digital engagement, on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support play, and consultative partnerships.
Playworks Arizona has a strong reputation, deep community relationships, long standing school and district partnerships and strong brand recognition. In the current school year, Playworks Arizona is projected to reach students in nearly 50 Arizona elementary schools, with a budget of approximately $1.4 million and a team of 14 full time employees. We work throughout the state of Arizona primarily for all services and New Mexico and Nevada for Pro Services.
We are committed to racial equity, and we make a particular effort to recruit people of color, indigenous people, gender non-binary people, and people with historically more marginalized identities to apply for open positions. Our core values of cultivating play, center equity, continued learning and collaboration within communities are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. If that is you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself!
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, faith, marital status, physical ability, or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates for employment, volunteering opportunities or board service on a merit basis.