All Open Positions
ABOUT PLAYWORKS, at Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing the school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills by partnering with schools, districts, and after-school programs through services including digital engagement, on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support play, and consultative partnerships.
ABOUT THE POSITION, as the Program Director of Playworks New England, you will report to the Regional Director and lead the planning and implementation of Playworks’ comprehensive school-based play and youth development programming. In this position, you are responsible for managing the recruitment, staffing, performance, training and development of all program staff and/or AmeriCorps Members, partnerships with schools and districts, grant compliance and evaluation, and initiatives that drive regional scaling and sustainability. You will be part of the regional leadership team, providing leadership that focuses on Playworks' three pillars of regional success: sustainable financials, sustainable impact and sustainable teams. Specifically you will:
- Lead regional impact strategy, along with Regional Director and Partnership Experience Director, that aligns with organizational goals of increasing schools’ ownership over safe and healthy play and ultimately creating long-term systems change in public education
- Direct all elements of Playworks direct service programming, including planning, implementation, training, evaluation and program quality, with a lens for moving schools to independence from Playworks
- Develop and manage a robust recruitment, hiring and retention plan for all regional program positions with an emphasis on diversity, equity and inclusion
- Provide leadership and management for Program Managers, including their onboarding and ongoing learning and development and performance management
- Provide ongoing leadership, support and coaching to program team to ensure high program quality and strong school partnerships;
- Jointly develop and implement a strategic sustainability plan as a member of the regional Leadership Team
- Work with the Partnership Experience Director to recruit, retain and grow school partnerships at both the school and district level
- Administrative duties such as drafting school direct service partnership contracts and RFP responses that meet both Playworks and partner requirements, maintaining school partnership files in Salesforce and on Google Drive, tracking and reporting on school fee collection to the Regional Director, serving as the main point of contact for school fees and school accounts payable, and other related tasks
- Manage regional volunteer strategy, funder/grant compliance - including oversight of AmeriCorps programming- and annual assessments, evaluation and data collection processes to ensure compliance and timely completion
- Monitor program budget and accounting for program expenditures in collaboration with the Regional Director;
- Represent Playworks at regional events, district meetings and local partnership coalitions
- Work closely with the headquarters team and other regional Program Directors throughout the country to share best practices and promote learning
WHO YOU ARE
- Managing and Empowering Others. You have an ability to recruit, manage, motivate and develop diverse individuals and teams, knowing how to meet an individual's unique needs. You exemplify authentic leadership. You also thrive in situations where you are developing and maintaining external relationships and partnerships.
- Detail Oriented Systems Person. You are great at multitasking, very organized, able to manage your time across multiple priorities and you manage through systems. You catch the little things and think it’s a big deal.
- Flexible and Adaptable. You thrive in an environment characterized by significant growth, diversity and constant change. You have experience working within and around complex programs.
- Judgment. You consider the long-term as well as immediate short-term outcomes and actions. You recognize when to escalate appropriate or specific situations to the next higher level of expertise. You refrain from “jumping to conclusions'' based on no, or minimal, evidence and you take time to collect facts before decision-making. You consider alternative available actions, resources, and constraints before selecting a method for accomplishing a task or project.
- Self-starter. You set clear goals and follow through with flexible and creative problem solving. You can work independently with minimal supervision. You also seek and incorporate feedback from your colleagues.
- Mission Driven. You are committed to Playworks’ mission and vision to improve outcomes for children and schools. You are also committed to Playworks Equity Statement, recognizing that equity learning is a journey that will require a willingness to participate in organizational-wide learning and development.
Required Skills & Experience
- 3 – 5 years of successful supervisory and management experience.
- Prior experience with nonprofits in education, youth development and/or sports.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships internally and externally with strong interpersonal skills and cross-cultural proficiencies.
- Strong computer skills, ability to use existing technology to achieve desired results and proficiency in Google applications and Salesforce.
- Ability to thrive working both independently and within team settings.
- High professional standards and strong leadership skills, with the ability to both drive strategies and manage practical details.
- Knowledge of the cultural and educational landscape of the region.
- Staff and volunteer support and training experience.
- This position may require travel to various regional locations.
- You must have outstanding communication skills-in addition to maintaining an open line of communication, you'll demonstrate excellent communication skills, including good phone and email etiquette and the ability to facilitate small and large group presentations.
- Requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package - great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally. We offer:
- This is a full-time, exempt position.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k), life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health, and child care spending accounts.
- Generous flexible paid time off policy with paid sick and holiday leave
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you've got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks and how your experience has prepared you for this role.
- References will be requested.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities.
Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can. While diversity is often used in reference to visual characteristics such as race, ethnicity, age, sex and physical appearance, we embrace a broader definition of diversity that also includes less visible factors, We also recognize that individuals can affiliate with multiple identities.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of national origin, religion, gender, differing abilities (physical, mental, learning), sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, political affiliation, military experience, and any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.