All Open Positions
Senior Development Associate, Foundations & Donor Engagement
ABOUT PLAYWORKS, at Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing the school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills by partnering with schools, districts, and after-school programs through services including digital engagement, on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support play, and consultative partnerships.
ABOUT THE POSITION, in the role of Senior Associate, Foundations & Donor Engagement, you will be an integral part of a Development team whose responsibility it is to strengthen funding relationships in order to support and scale Playworks’ impact throughout New England. Reporting to the Director of Development, the Sr. DA will support the design and execution of a strategy to increase fundraising and engagement from private, family, and corporate foundations. Additionally, the Senior Associate will execute Playworks’ regional communications and social media strategies to increase awareness about Playworks’ impact and engagement opportunities among a diverse set of stakeholders. The Senior Associate will be expected to lead by example and demonstrate Playworks’ core values in all internal and external relationships.
The successful candidate must excel at project management and have a demonstrated interest in relationship management and multi-stakeholder communication strategies. The Sr. DA will have a proven track record of success communicating effectively, delivering on key priorities, and working collaboratively across departments within an organization. The Senior Associate will be asked to represent Playworks at corporate and community functions.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Relationship Management: the Sr. DA will be one of the primary relationship owners for current and prospective foundation partners (including private, family, and corporate foundations). Working across the Development team, the Sr. DA will help support the design and execution of strategies to cultivate and strengthen relationships in order to best align with partner goals.
- Grant Consultant: In collaboration with the Dev team, the Sr. DA will serve as the primary point of contact for N.E. 's external grant consultant, Page Consulting, in order to streamline and collate grant language, budget templates, and prospect/submission calendars.
- Funding Proposals: In collaboration with the DD, the Sr. DA will create language templates that can be used for all three levels of services and various needs (physical activity, social and emotional learning, trauma-informed care, etc.) as well as oversee grant applications and submissions.
- Annual and Peer-to-Peer Campaigns: In partnership with the DD, the Sr. DA will lead the design and execution of a strategy to secure financial support through e-solicitations and peer-to-peer fundraising campaigns (ex. Share the Love of Play, End of Year Appeal, Days of Giving, etc.).
- Pipeline Management: The Sr. DA will be responsible for building and managing a foundation pipeline that is three times the fundraising goal, including managing revenue projections.
- Research: The Sr. DA will be responsible for researching and identifying new sources of support, including proactively conducting outreach to initiate and strengthen relationships.
FOUNDATION AND DONOR RELATIONS:
- Impact and Financial Reporting: In partnership with the Dev team, the Sr. DA will help lead the strategy and execution of mid-year and end of year reports for all funding partners and major donors, ensuring all reports and supporting documentation are submitted in accordance with deadlines. The Sr. DA will work with the N.E. Engagement Specialist and other stakeholders to create collateral and customized reports.
- Stewardship: The Sr. DA will support the execution of a stewardship calendar to recognize and inform funding partners, major donors, and other external stakeholders as appropriate, including acknowledgment letters and other correspondence.
- Project Management: The Sr. DA will organize, prioritize and execute complex projects to ensure successful delivery by agreed upon internal and external deadlines.
- Cross-Functional Teamwork: The Sr. DA will lead and work collaboratively within Development as well as other Departments (Program, Partnerships, Finance, etc.) in order to achieve organizational goals.
- Data Management: The Sr. DA will enter and maintain accurate information within databases in order to ensure data integrity and efficiency of information pulling. The Sr. DA will work to gain deeper knowledge of internal systems in order to maximize potential in Salesforce and other platforms as appropriate.
- Analysis: The Sr. DA will be responsible for tracking and reporting on key metrics across all areas of responsibility in order to produce fundraising, event, and volunteer reports on a regular basis. The Sr. DA will be expected to leverage data to shape and strengthen internal strategies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Commitment to excellence and passion for Playworks’ mission.
- 2-4 years of development, account management, program management, and/or grant writing experience. Bachelor Degree required.
- High-energy individual who takes initiative, has a positive outlook, entrepreneurial attitude, a sense of humor, and the ability to thrive in a changing environment. Ability to be flexible and team oriented. Comfort with a playfully professional workplace culture.
- Proven track record of meeting and exceeding development/sales goals, including the identification and cultivation of new business prospects.
- Strong attention to detail and proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Cultural competency: must possess the ability to work with a diverse group of internal and external individuals, agencies, causes and businesses.
- Excellent written, oral communication, and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills both in person and on the phone.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) as well as Google Suite (Gmail, Sheets, Docs, etc.). Prior knowledge of InDesign, Illustrator, and/or Lightroom a plus.
- Proficiency in database applications and data analysis required, preferably Salesforce.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds.
- Knowledge of local business, civic and cultural communities.
- Willingness to provide support outside of regular business hours (ex. industry events/meetings occasionally occur on nights and weekends) and travel on occasion.
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package - great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally. We offer:
- Competitive nonprofit salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, exempt position which reports directly to the Director of Development.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k), life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health, and child care spending accounts.
- Generous flexible paid time off policy with paid sick and holiday leave.
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you've got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks and how your experience has prepared you for this role.
- If we think you’re the right fit, we’ll request your references; there’s no need to include them at the outset.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities.
Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can. While diversity is often used in reference to visual characteristics such as race, ethnicity, age, sex and physical appearance, we embrace a broader definition of diversity that also includes less visible factors, We also recognize that individuals can affiliate with multiple identities.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of national origin, religion, gender, differing abilities (physical, mental, learning), sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, political affiliation, military experience, and any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.