All Open Positions
This full-time position is for the 202-2023 school year with expected start of August 2022.
ABOUT PLAYWORKS, At Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing the school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills by partnering with schools, districts, and after-school programs through services including digital engagement, on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support play, and consultative partnerships.
ABOUT THE POSITION, as a Program Coordinator or "Coach" you will bring healthy play and physical activity to elementary schools to create a positive environment for learning and teaching. In this position, you are trained and placed at a school to run Playworks' physical activity program focused on teaching and organizing safe and inclusive games before, during and after school. You teach conflict resolution strategies, inspire all children to get off the sidelines and into the game and work to generate more community and family involvement.
Specifically you will have Program, Administrative, and School Partnership Duties as follows-
Plan and implement sports and play based programming during recess, in school and after school hours at a public elementary school:
- Recess - Create a safe, fun, and inclusive playground by developing and modelling standard agreements for behavior and conflict resolution skills, teaching kids and recess support staff the rules and strategies of the games, and recruiting disengaged students to participate.
- Junior Coach Leadership Program - Implement a youth leadership program by facilitating student trainings and providing student leadership opportunities at recess. Junior Coaches are a mix of 4th through 6th grade students who participate in regular trainings that focus on teaching valuable skills like leadership, conflict resolution, inclusion and community action, successfully improving their self-esteem, self advocacy, leadership ability, and desire to improve academically.
- Class Game Time - Lead instructional time with individual classes throughout the year. During this time, the coach teaches foundational skills and activities that will prepare students so they can confidently engage in and enjoy recess.
- Sports Leagues - Lead non-competitive sports designed to develop skills, provide a positive experience, and teach good sporting behavior to students.
- Special Projects as assigned - In partnership with manager, lead the development and execution of strategic projects to further impact goals including but not limited to: curriculum development, evaluation support, and/or program modifications.
- Alternate activities may be requested based on school needs and as approved and in collaboration with Playworks. Modifications could include online instruction and virtual delivery of recess or class game time activities, urgent community service activities such as support for school meals distribution during COVID -19, etc.
- Maintain communication between Playworks staff, school staff, teachers, families, and volunteers.
- Collect and maintain paperwork including organizing daily, weekly, and monthly schedules and timesheets.
- Support the collection of evaluations administered by Playworks
School Partnership Duties:
- Consistently represent Playworks’ brand in a professional manner.
- Design program schedule with input and support from school administration.
- Communicate with school administration regarding program implementation logistics and support needs.
- Leading capacity building initiatives within your school on the topics of play, recess design, physical activity, group management, conflict resolution, and program sustainability to teachers, school staff, and administrators.
- Supporting district-wide capacity building alongside Playworks partnerships team.
If you're a good fit for this position, you already know most of what this job entails. However, to be sure we're providing a complete picture, here are some details:
- The strongest candidates will be motivated self-starters with strong interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written.
- You will be successful if you are humorous and playful, with the ability to set clear goals and follow through with flexible and creative problem solving tools.
- Success in this position requires you to be a multitasker with a strong eye for detail and an ability to consider the larger context.
Required Skills & Experience
- High school education or equivalent
- Demonstrated experience leading and/or teaching small and large groups of children with the ability to engage and inspire youth
- Experience interacting with diverse communities and the ability to integrate into and existing school community
- Knowledge of computer and internet based programs for use in communication and reporting requirements
- Ability to manage assorted tasks with a focus on enhancing the experience for youth during the school day
- Access to reliable transportation (public transportation or personal transport) to/from assigned school
- Candidates must clear a National Sex Offender Public Registry, State criminal check, and FBI background check
- Successful completion of TB test (upon hire)
- School and School District may have, in collaboration with Playworks, additional requirement(s) to be determined for work at school site including use of temperature screening, COVID 19 testing and use of protective equipment such as face guards or gloves and mask
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package - great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally. We offer:
- Competitive nonprofit hourly wage. This is a full-time non-exempt position typically starting in August with the expectation that you will work through the school year.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health and child care spending accounts.
- Paid vacation for all school breaks and paid sick-leave
- Opportunities for professional development
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you've got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
- Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted on a rolling basis.
Other things you need to know:
- This position may require travel to various locations.
- If a Playworks employee is required to drive a vehicle for work related purposes (not commuting purposes) the employee must complete an authorization form and provide us with evidence of valid, current driver's license and proof of liability/collision/property damage insurance with minimum coverage of $50,000 each accident/ $100,000 each occurrence
- You must have outstanding communication skills-in addition to maintaining an open line of communication, you'll demonstrate excellent communication skills, including good phone and email etiquette and the ability to facilitate small and large group presentations.
- Requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment
- In the event of virtual instruction activities, position will require use of computer technology and internet access
Typical physical and mental demands:
- Playworks Coaches are required to frequently balance, bend, climb, grasp, kneel, reach, sit, squat, stand, stoop, twist, walk, and write on a daily basis. Coaches must also be able to occasionally lift and carry light to medium loads of 10 – 50 pounds, and be able to occasionally pull and push loads of 10 – 50 pounds. Requires a normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with children and adults. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environments.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities.
Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can. While diversity is often used in reference to visual characteristics such as race, ethnicity, age, sex and physical appearance, we embrace a broader definition of diversity that also includes less visible factors, We also recognize that individuals can affiliate with multiple identities.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of national origin, religion, gender, differing abilities (physical, mental, learning), sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, political affiliation, military experience, and any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.