All Open Positions
Pro Trainer, Southern California
ABOUT PLAYWORKS, at Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing the school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. We partner with schools, districts, and after-school programs to provide a service or mix of services including on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support recess, and consultative partnerships.
Playworks Pro service provides professional training and ongoing development to school staff, including administrators, classroom teachers, paraprofessionals, and out-of- school-time providers to create and maintain a great recess and environment for play throughout the school year. With hands-on professional development workshops and collaborative consultation, Playworks Pro provides step-by-step guidance and tools needed to create a positive recess environment for students. Beyond the playground, Playworks supports out–of–school time staff with techniques to create more inclusive and healthy play opportunities for the youth in their programs.
About the Position, we're looking for a dynamic, flexible and skilled educational Pro Trainer to provide professional development for adult learners on how to facilitate healthy play. Working primarily with external clients, a Pro Trainer helps foster relationships with and delivers trainings across the country to partners such as school districts, after school programs and community based organizations. Along with attending conferences and providing meaningful team buildings with our Corporate Partners. Each training helps both adults and kids create a place where everyone belongs, has fun and is part of the game. The Pro Trainer will work closely with the SoCal and CA Hub Leadership Team, is supported by the CA Trainer and reports directly to the Regional Partnership Manger.
This is a full-time non-exempt position based in Southern California and will require extensive travel throughout the area.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide trainings and consultation to both corporate and school based partners to include: teachers, school staff and admin, and youth workers within the areas of play, youth development, recess design, physical activity, group management, conflict resolution, youth leadership and program sustainability
- Develop and maintain relationships with external clients pre and post trainings, including visits to schools to provide observations, consultation, and collaborative action planning with school site teams
- Contribute to the development and continued quality improvement of Playworks curriculum, including working with Playworks Pro to develop training content and techniques
- Support the creation of new services and tools such as trainings, conference programs, promotional materials, playshops and other educational and marketing resources
- Build strong relationships with key strategic partners to generate opportunities for future trainings, working closely with California Regional Partnership Manager & Regional Partnership Director to vet and approach partners for continued relationships
- Build strong relationships with Local and Statewide Playworks Leadership, along with Cross Hub Leaders in Innovation and Pro, to increase impact in regions and provide high quality customer service to training clients
- Provide trainings to clients outside of the youth development sphere in order to support strategies that bring in new resources and partnerships that extend Playworks’ reach
- Work directly with Development Directors to Lead and support California wide team, pro and grant funded pro metrics that includes the quality of these services along with specifically supporting Grant Funded Pro end of the year Impact reporting
- Meet monthly and annual targets focused on nurturing relationships with existing customers
- Manage Pro pipeline and partner data collection, keeping detailed records within Salesforce
- At least 2-3 years experience delivering training to adults
- Extensive knowledge of youth development principles and practices, especially relating to social and emotional learning, play and inclusion
- Strong and dynamic facilitation skills
- Strong stage presence, public speaking skills and active listening skills
- Experience in development and delivery of trainings and curriculum
- Demonstrated ability to maintain professional relationships with external clients and represent organization’s brand in a professional manner
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with strong follow through on details
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Comfort with a playful, exuberant and mildly irreverent workplace culture
- Thrives in an environment characterized by growth, diversity and change
- Able to work outside of normal business hours, including evenings and weekends
- Requires extensive travel to local and national training locations at an average of 11 training days per month, not including travel days
- Must own vehicle or have ongoing access to vehicle to ensure reliable transportation to and from training sites
- Valid state-issued driver's license required, including a current MVR, proof of liability and property damage insurance with a minimum of (100,000; 300,000) on vehicle used
What we offer:
Playworks offers the full package - great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally.
- Competitive nonprofit hourly wage commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, 401(k), employee funded pre-tax health and child care spending accounts.
- Generous paid time off with paid vacation, sick and holiday leave.
If working hard while making room for play sounds like your ideal place to work, then apply online to join our team:
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks and how your experience has prepared you for this role. Please also include your salary expectations.
- References will be requested.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities.
Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can. While diversity is often used in reference to visual characteristics such as race, ethnicity, age, sex and physical appearance, we embrace a broader definition of diversity that also includes less visible factors, We also recognize that individuals can affiliate with multiple identities.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of national origin, religion, gender, differing abilities (physical, mental, learning), sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, political affiliation, military experience, and any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.