All Open Positions
Do you believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid? Would you like to work where you are encouraged to promote fun, creativity and play? If you are motivated and you possess leadership experience- both on and off the playground – we want you to join our team and put your passion for play to work for us.
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to transform children’s physical and emotional health. Playworks currently serves more than 2,500 schools in 23 U.S. cities, and reaches 1.25 million students directly and through professional training services.
At Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. We partner with schools, districts, and after-school programs to provide a service or mix of services including on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support recess, and consultative partnerships.
Here’s where you come in:
In the role of Program Manager, you will assist in the planning and implementation of Playworks’ comprehensive school-based play and youth development programming. You will train and oversee program coordinators and AmeriCorps Members (coaches), maintain strong relationships with school partners, develop new training for program staff, and facilitate the implementation of any new or modified programming. This is a full-time, exempt position which reports directly to the regional Program Director.
Specifically you will:
- Collaborate with regional team to oversee Playworks’ programs, planning and implementing school-based programming at elementary school sites.
- Manage and support 8-10 coaches or site coordinators.
- Conduct regular program observations & data reviews to ensure high quality programming.
- Support AmeriCorps coaches including tracking hours, organizing and participating in volunteer service activities, encouraging completion of term of service.
- Participate in curriculum development.
- Organize and facilitate staff trainings.
- Perform evaluations of coaches according to Playworks’ protocol and oversee curriculum implementation during school year to ensure fulfillment of expectations and responsibilities.
- Serve as primary contact person for school administrators and consult with schools as needed in achieving program outcomes.
- Mediate program issues with schools, staff and principals and coaches.
- Serve as interscholastic/developmental sports league coordinator and contact person which includes additional evening hours.
- Participate in hiring of new coaches.
- Assist in special events, field trips, etc.
- Lead administrative tasks related to program management (data collection, paperwork, etc.) and additional areas as needed (grant writing, etc.)
- Represent Playworks in building community relationships and supporting national expansion through various special projects such as development of curriculum for specific student populations, building relationships with new funding sources and developing training for new sites.
- Support Playworks local training efforts.
If you're a good fit for this position, you already know most of what this job entails. However, to be sure we're providing a complete picture, here are some additional details:
- The most successful candidate will be a self-starter with strong organizational skills and proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- You will be successful if you possess a “Get It Right” attitude and you seek and incorporate feedback easily.
- The strongest candidate will have demonstrated high professional standards with the ability to see the big picture and manage practical details.
Required Skills & Experience
- Successful experience as a Playworks’ coach, site coordinator or similar experience such as a background in youth development with a variety of skills and approaches to sports and play.
- Experience establishing and maintaining professional relationships with external clients in diverse communities and community organizations with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and support staff.
- Strong experience with computer and internet based programs especially Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and Google Drive.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills with the ability to facilitate small and large group presentations.
- Ability to thrive working both independently and within team settings.
- Must be creative and passionate about youth work.
- Sense of humor and resourcefulness essential.
- This position may require travel to various regional locations. School sites may be widely dispersed in city/region therefore daily access to reliable transportation is required.
- Requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package - great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally. We offer:
- Competitive nonprofit salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, exempt position which reports directly to the program director.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) retirement savings plan, life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health and child care spending accounts.
- Generous paid time off with paid vacation, sick and holiday leave.
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you've got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks and how your experience has prepared you for this role
- 3 Professional References.
Typical Physical & Mental Demands: Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching, and eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Dependent on assignment the employee may occasionally lift, push, pull and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities. Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability, or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.