- Have one to three volleyballs on hand.
- Review how to bump, set, and serve.
- One player stands on each of the four corners of the play area (there should be a total of four in the square).
- The rest of the players line up near the play area in a single line.
- Review how to rotate in and out of the playing area (the same as in four square.)
Use a painted four square area or divide a large square into equal four sections.
- Play begins with one player serving from his/her corner.
- The serve can be to any of the other three players.
- Each player gets one attempt to set or bump the ball to another player without the ball hitting the ground.
- If the player misses or hits the ball out of bounds then s/he returns to the end of the line.
- Play re-starts with a serve.
Team Four Square Volleyball: use a large 4-square (approximately 24' x 24;) and place three to four on a team, each team gets a square. Each team gets a maximum of three hits to return the ball to another square.
To develop teamwork and communication.