At Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid.
Playworks is a national nonprofit organization that improves school climate, reduces bullying and increases student engagement in school through play and physical activity. Through both our training programs and our on-site direct service, Playworks teaches children to resolve their own conflicts that arise at recess and carry over to the classroom, restoring valuable teaching and learning time. We help transform recess into a safe, fun and inclusive time that gets students active and engaged so they can return to the classroom focused and ready to learn. For more information, please visit www.playworks.org.
Our Program Coordinator position or "Coach" is a full-time position bringing healthy play and physical activity to low-income schools to create a positive environment for learning and teaching. Program Coordinators are trained and placed at an urban elementary school to run Playworks’ physical activity program focused on teaching and organizing safe and inclusive games before, during and after school. They teach conflict resolution strategies, inspire all children to get off the sidelines and into the game and work to generate more community and family involvement. This is a non-exempt position which will last through June with the possibility to be rehired for the 2014-15 school year.
These positions are for the 2013-14 school year. Interviews for these positions are held throughout the summer with start dates in early/mid August. Available in all Playworks locations.
Program Duties (if applicable):
- Planning and implementing sports and play based programming during recess, in school and after school hours at a public elementary school.
- Recess - create a safe and inclusive playground yard and be a significant presence on the yard by organizing and playing large games with 20+ students as well as role modeling positive behavior
- Junior Coach Program – organize a youth leadership program by facilitating trainings and working with teachers and staff
- Class Game Time - lead individual classes in skills building, cooperative games, and activities to increase awareness of rules and boundaries at recess
- Out-of-School Program – organize a homework/snack and a physical activity period for around 15 students focusing on building a community as well as reinforcing the Playworks philosophy
- Interscholastic leagues - recruit and coach students for developmental sports leagues. This includes building a school community and coordinating volunteers
- Maintain communication between Playworks staff, school staff, teachers, families, and volunteers
- Collect and maintain paperwork including organizing daily, weekly, and monthly schedules and timesheets
- Over the course of the school year, create and submit at least 2 learning units with a minimum of 3 lessons each
- Plan and implement the learning units in one component of their program (ASP, JCs, specific grade level CGT)
- Demonstrated experience leading groups of children with the ability to engage and inspire youth
- Experience working with small and large groups of children
- Motivated self-starter with clear and open communication skills
- Humorous and playful with ability to set clear goals and follow through with flexible and creative problem solving tools
- Conceptual ability for the larger perspective with a strong attention to detail and multi-tasking
- Experience interacting with diverse communities and the ability to integrate into and existing school community
- Knowledge of computer and internet based programs for use in communication and grant requirements
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to manage assorted tasks with a focus on enhancing the experience for youth during the school day
- Hourly rate dependant on your geographic location
- We provide full health benefits
- Dental/vision reimbursement benefit
- Paid vacation for all school breaks and paid sick-leave
- Opportunities for professional development
- Health and wellness benefit for qualifying items
- Opportunity in a quickly growing organization
This position is for the 2013-14 school year. Interviews for these positions are held throughout the summer with start dates in early/mid August.
- Please no phone calls
- Position will remain open until filled
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression or physical ability, and evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.